Winnipeg Jewish Review  
Site Search:
Home  |  Archives  |  Contact Us
Features Local Israel Next Generation Arts/Op-Eds Editorial/Letters Links Obituary/In Memoriam

Renée Lemieux Howard


by Renée Lemieux Howard, Thompson Dorfman Sweatman, posted here May 25

When a child's parents separate or divorce, a question that occasionally arises is whether or not the child's grandparents are entitled to continue relationships with their grandchild. In some situations, disagreements occur about the amount or type of access a grandparent should have and, occasionally, whether access should even occur at all.

"Access" not only includes visits with the child but can also include such things as the ability to communicate with the child, the ability to attend and receive information about the child's events (soccer games, concerts), the ability to send or receive photos of the child, and the ability to send gifts to the child.

There is both provincial and federal legislation which allow individuals (other than a parent) to apply for access to a child. For example, in Manitoba, The Child and Family Services Act (the "Act") contains provisions whereby, upon application, the court may order that a grandparent, step-parent or other member of the child's family exercise custody over a child or have access to the child. A non-family member can also apply for access in exceptional circumstances.

In making an order for access, the court will look at what is in the best interest of the child. This is based on a set of factors listed in the Act and any relevant information provided. In addition, the court will consider the mental, emotional and physical needs of the child, any pre-existing relationship between the child and the applicant (the grandparents) and whether the child can benefit from a positive, nurturing relationship with a grandparent. In some circumstances, the court will order an assessment to assist with determining what is in the child's best interest. Free assessment services are available, such as the Grandparent Advisor service, or the parties can choose to use a private assessor to prepare a report for the court. Obtaining an assessment may also help the parties to reach an agreement without the need to continue with court proceedings, which can often be costly and lengthy processes.

Grandparents who are applying for access through the courts are generally required to complete the For the Sake of the Children program. This is a free program that provides information about the legal and emotional aspects of separation and the needs of children whose parents are separating.

We can advise you as to which legislation would apply in your circumstances and provide you with advice on the options available to you.

For more information you can access the Manitoba Government's Guide for Grandparents and Extended Family Members Applying for Access at the following link:

<<Previous Article       Next Article >>
Subscribe to the Winnipeg Jewish Review
  • Limmud Winnipeg Inc.
  • Jewish Federation of Winnipeg
  • Gray Academy
  • Jewish Child and Family Service
  • Bridges for Peace
  • Coughlin Insurance
  • Joyce Rykiss
  • Munroe Pharmacy
  • Imperial Soap
  • Nick's Inn
  • Roseman Corp.
  • TD Canada Trust
  • Maric Homes
  • Artista Homes
  • Southwynn Homes
  • Tradesman Mechanical
  • Taverna Rodos
  • Accurate Lawn & Garden
  • Fetching Style
  • West Kildonan Auto Service
  • Kristina's Fine Greek Cuisine
  • Nikos
  • Sarel Canada
  • Santa Lucia Pizza
  • Center for Near East Policy Research
  • Roofco Winnipeg Roofing
  • Center for Near East Policy Research
  • Nachum Bedein
Rhonda Spivak, Editor

Publisher: Spivak's Jewish Review Ltd.

Opinions expressed in letters to the editor or articles by contributing writers are not necessarily endorsed by Winnipeg Jewish Review.