Winnipeg Jewish Review  
Site Search:
Home  |  Archives  |  Contact Us
 
Features Local Israel Next Generation Arts/Op-Eds Editorial/Letters Links Obituary/In Memoriam


 
NEW SALS RESTAURANT - GRAND OPENING - MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1st

October 28, 2010

Salisbury House is thrilled and proud to announce we have moved and are now open at our new 24 hour location at 787 Leila Avenue.

The official ribbon cutting ceremony will take place at noon on Monday, November 1st.  Guests will receive a complimentary Red Velvet Muffin and coffee as part of the Sals celebration. Click here to view the poster.

Ideally located just across from the Garden City Shopping Centre, this 24-hour restaurant features 148 seats, licensed for beer and wine, a private party room and includes our subsidiary division - Red Roof Catering.  It also is the new home of our Corporate Headquarters.

“The establishment of this flagship location for Winnipeg’s historic north end comes at a wonderfully harmonious juncture in the 79 year history of Sals as an iconic institution in this town”, states Earl J. Barish, President and CEO of Salisbury House of Canada Ltd.  “As we approach our 80th anniversary in 2011, Sals will be able to offer our legendary classics for generations to come in a convenient and comfortable brand new restaurant.  The décor is highlighted by retro artwork that will take guests on a stroll down memory lane of eight decades of history at Sals.  As it was extremely important to maintain the panache of the neighbourhood meeting place for our guests, we have preserved the tradition of the very popular Sals counter in keeping with the spirit of the original coffee shop motif.”      
   
The legendary ‘Nip’ was introduced to Winnipeg in 1931 at the first Salisbury House on Fort St.  Sals original founder, Ralph Erwin, was an American actor who recognized a need for a place to get great food late at night when he was on the road in Canada during the late 1920’s.  With $135 borrowed from friends back in Nebraska, his plan was to open a restaurant in Winnipeg, the heart of the British Empire.  With that influence, he introduced the hamburger and called it a NIP, a small portion of the Salisbury Steak, named after Lord Salisbury. 

www.salisburyhouse.ca

 
<<Previous Article       Next Article >>
Subscribe to the Winnipeg Jewish Review
  • Jewish Federation of Winnipeg
  • Coughlin Insurance
  • Joyce Rykiss
  • Munroe Pharmacy
  • GTP
  • Jim Muir
  • Bruce Shefrin
  • Fair Service
  • Eddie's Gravel Supply Ltd.
  • Sveinson Construction
  • The Home Store
  • John Bucklaschuk
  • Tyler Bucklaschuk
  • John Wishnowski
  • Stringer Rentals & Power Products
  • JLS Construction
  • Roseman
  • Dakota Chiropractic Office
  • Holiday Inn
  • Maric Homes
  • Artista Homes
  • Southwynn Homes
  • Tradesman Mechanical
  • Imperial Soap
  • Winnipeg Drapery
  • Ingrid Bennett
  • Chochy's
  • Interlake Service
  • Hugh's Electric
  • Lakeside Roofing
  • KC Enterprises
  • Bulrushes Gallery
  • Gulay Plumbing
  • Trevor Arnason Plumbing
  • Accurate Lawn & Garden
  • Dr. Gary Levine
  • Fetching Style
  • Winnipeg Prophecy Conference
  • Thorvaldson Care
  • Country Boy Restaurant
  • Total Lighting Sales
  • Shenanigan's On The Beach
  • Nikos
  • Sarel Canada
  • Santa Lucia Pizza
  • Whytewold Emporium
  • Center for Near East Policy Research
  • Roofco Winnipeg Roofing
  • Center for Near East Policy Research
  • Nachum Bedein
Rhonda Spivak, Editor

Publisher: Spivak's Jewish Review Ltd.


Opinions expressed in letters to the editor or articles by contributing writers are not necessarily endorsed by Winnipeg Jewish Review.