Dear Community Members,
There isn’t a week that goes by without being asked why we do what we do. I wanted to share some of these questions with you:
“Why should I give to the Combined Jewish Appeal? I would rather donate to particular agencies.”
Through the annual campaign we ensure that community dollars are raised in the most cost-effective way. Our campaign allows our partner agencies to continue to do the vital work they do without having to devote major resources to acquiring operational funding.
· Federation meets with 12 local partner agencies on a regular basis and are aware of the ongoing needs;
· Through our allocations committee we review current and future needs, and ensure that agencies receiving funding have sound financial footing;
· We ensure that partner agencies are able to operate, regardless of size and reach.
“Why are we sending funds to Israel? They don’t need our money.”
We support and fill the gap in social services and education. Without our contributions, vulnerable populations like those of the Upper Galilee would not have access to the kind of care they currently receive.
· Our Israel partners receive funds for social service and educational programs for people of all ages and abilities. These include: after school programs, a rape crisis centre, transportation programs, a preparatory school for young adults with autism, and so much more.
· National funds support programs like March of the Living, Taglit-Birthright Israel, Hillel Winnipeg, the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA).
“You always say the CJA begins every year in a negative position. Why?”
We lose a number of donations every year as people move out of town, are unable to give, or have passed away. One way to ensure that we have a secure base of funds is through planned giving. When donors choose to make planned gifts, they make a commitment to support our community today and tomorrow. That is why we want to encourage our CJA donors to endow their gifts. How do you to this? There are a number of ways, click here to learn more.
Thank you to the 3,000 families and 216 new donors who have already supported this year’s annual campaign. We close the 2016 campaign March 31, and we still need your help. In order to provide the same funding we did in our previous year, we need to raise another $50,000 before the end of campaign. Our future is powered by you. Join us and support the CJA today; it’s as easy as saying YES.
Our latest annual report is now available! We want to get you information as efficiently and timely as possible, so we will make our annual report available early in the new year and a Case for Giving in the fall. Click here to read the 2016 Jewish Federation of Winnipeg Annual Report.
We hope to see you at the following upcoming Federation events:
· YAD Presents Shabbat Across Winnipeg - Sold Out! | Friday, March 3
· Shabbat Together - Sold Out! | Friday, March 3
· PJ Library – Lego at Limmud | Sunday, March 5
· Limmud Winnipeg | Saturday-Sunday, March 4-5
· Mission to Israel Information Evening | Tuesday, March 7
· Purim Carnival | Sunday, March 12
· Community Conversations - Last Chance! | Multiple dates throughout March
· Model Matzah Bakery | Sunday, March 26 | Details to come!