Winnipeg Jewish Review  
Site Search:
Home  |  Archives  |  Contact Us
 
Features Local Israel Next Generation Arts/Op-Eds Editorial/Letters Links Obituary/In Memoriam


 
SIMKIN CENTRE RECEIVES UNEXPECTED BEQUEST OF $725,000 FROM ESTATE OF MYER AND CORRINE GELLER FROM SAN DIEGO

October 28, 2020

Press Release Oct 28-The Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre PCH Inc. Board of Directors and The Saul and Claribel Simkin Centre Foundation Board of Directors are pleased to share with you the announcement of an unexpected bequest to the Sharon Home in the amount of $725,937 CDN from the Estate of Myer and Corrine Geller of San Diego, California. These funds come to the Centre at an opportune time as we are faced with aging infrastructure and equipment, rising costs with freezes or cuts to government funding and ongoing covid related costs that remain unfunded at this time.

A portion of these funds (30%) will be used for the immediate needs of the Centre, including support of our fight against Covid-19. The remainder (70%) of the funds will be allocated to the Jewish Foundation of Manitoba to create our new Building Reserve Fund. This fund will help to ensure our ability to maintain our building and equipment on a long term basis. The Simkin Centre is a world class facility and we want to do our best to keep it that way.

All we know about the Gellers is they had no children and Myer was a 1943 graduate of St. John’s High School (Winnipeg). Further, Mr. Geller went to MIT, became a physicist and was granted several patents. We have been unable to determine why we were the recipient of this bequest. We hope sharing this good news with the community may give us some insight into the mystery. We hope that the Geller’s generosity will inspire others to consider the Simkin Centre in their estate planning. If you would like to contribute to the Building Reserve Fund, please contact Don at (204) 228-1804 ([email protected]) or Laurie at (204) 589-9015 ([email protected]).

 
<<Previous Article       Next Article >>
Subscribe to the Winnipeg Jewish Review
  • Jewish Federation of Winnipeg
  • Red River Coop
  • Jewish Federation of Winnipeg
  • Winter's Collision Repair
  • Coughlin Insurance
  • Joyce Rykiss
  • Markus Chambers
  • Munroe Pharmacy
  • Imperial Soap
  • GTP
  • Nick's Inn
  • Rady JCC
  • Commercial Pool
  • Sobey's
  • Daniel Friedman and Rob Dalgliesh
  • Lipkin Family
  • Asper Family
  • Booke and Partners
  • Ixtapa Travel
  • Roseman Corp.
  • Thovaldson Care
  • Maric Homes
  • Artista Homes
  • Tradesman Mechanical
  • Accurate Lawn & Garden
  • Ronald B. Zimmerman
  • Fetching Style
  • Cascade Financial Group Inc.
  • Orthodox Union
  • Shirley and Bob Freedman
  • Dr. Ted and Harriet Lyons
  • Chisick Family
  • Shinewald Family
  • Lazar Family
  • Ross Eadie
  • Shindico
  • Aziza Family
  • Kromar Printing
  • Candice Bergen
  • Pitblado
  • Safeway
  • Broadway Law Group
  • Munroe Dental Centre
  • Western Scrap Metals
  • Bridges for Peace
  • Lofchick Family
  • Dakota Chiropractic Office
  • Cavalier Candies
  • erickson motors
  • HUB International
  • Daien Denture Clinic
  • Taverna Rodos
  • Chochy's
  • Superlite
  • Laufman Reprographics
  • Ambassador Mechanical
  • John Orlikow
  • Grant Kurian Trucking
  • Seer Logging Inc.
  • Shoppers Drug Mart
  • Kristina's
  • The Center for Near East Policy Research Ltd.
  • Sarel Canada
  • Santa Lucia Pizza
  • Center for Near East Policy Research
  • Roofco Winnipeg Roofing
  • Center for Near East Policy Research
  • Nachum Bedein
  • Maric Homes
Rhonda Spivak, Editor

Publisher: Spivak's Jewish Review Ltd.


Opinions expressed in letters to the editor or articles by contributing writers are not necessarily endorsed by Winnipeg Jewish Review.